When should I 'let go' of the idea of having children?

This is a very difficult decision for women who do or have wanted children but aren't able to go forward because something is in the way.  Maybe they are with a partner who really doesn't want children.  That is a very strong sub-category of women who come to me for coaching.

And at some point,  as a coach, I might help the client explore the idea of letting go.

Why? you may be asking.  As a life coach, surely it is my job to help clients go for what they want - despite the barriers.  But, as this article in the Huffington Post points out, sometimes it's more helpful to look at letting go.

It's my belief that often when we let go of something we have been holding on to (but something which hasn't manifested in reality) we can make room for something new to come in.  We can go about creating something new and exciting.  So when should you let go of the idea of having children?  There is no definative answer to that.  But if you feel you have exhausted your options (for example, if your partner definately doesn't want kids, won't be moved and you don't want to leave him), maybe explore the idea of letting go.

Comments

Beth, thank you for this post. I agree that at some point, we need to accept that we are not going to have children and move on. It's more painful to keep agonizing over it.

Sue Fagalde Lick
www.childlessbymarriage.blogspot.com
Beth said…
Thank you Sue. I know how painful it can be and I think there is something very freeing to accept that we can't have something we really desire and want. I think this is true for the baby decision but also for relationshiops as well.

Popular Posts